Looking for the beginning?

Looking for somewhere to start? Check out Song 1 here!

Monday, 10 October 2011

Song Number 37: Waterloo Staircase

Try this with headphones on.  In a dark room.



DONATE TO PARKINSON'S UK AT http://www.justgiving.com/songaweek - if you don't, it means you like Parkinson's.  *FACT*

So this track was written in a few minutes, and the main purpose was to play around with the backing vocal sounds and try to convey some of the atmosphere of one of my favourite places in London.  The title should give you a bit of a clue (HELLO!) as to where it is.  It's a small staircase nobody seems to use, and it feels like one of the few places in the whole of the Capital that isn't covered by CCTV.  Not that I want to get up to anything naughty there, of course - I just remember the wonderful feeling of calm that washed over me the first time I walked up it and realised I wasn't being watched by an electronic eye.

Doing all manner of prohibited activities...
The backing vocal noises have no effects on them other than a spot of reverb - I did a lot of waving my hands in front of my face, singing into a saxophone bell, and other ridiculous things, but it was a delight to be able to play around with noises like that again - I think part of me was inspired by a recent Todd Rundgren concert, at which he played this track from his "A Capella" album - Lost Horizon.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...