Looking for the beginning?

Looking for somewhere to start? Check out Song 1 here!

Saturday, 17 September 2011

Song Number 34: Ballad of a Slow Man

With apologies to Dylan fans everywhere...


We're almost there, guys - just another couple of hundred to go and we'll have hit our £1,000 target.  Please, if you haven't already, do your bit and pledge a couple of quid to Parkinson's UK at www.justgiving.com/songaweek

As you know, I've been trying to write lyrics away from the studio, which is something I've struggled with for a while.  I'm getting better, though - Me and The Morning and Fallen Down were both written before the music, and I'm quite pleased with both of them.  This time I thought I'd try something that lends itself particularly well to blurring the poetry/music divide: the folk ballad. 

Wanna buy some mandies, Bob?

So here it is, my attempt at an early Bob Dylan-type ballad.  I wanted to tell some kind of a story, but couldn't really think of anything that grabbed me.  In the meantime, I played around with the all-important first line.  Once I'd got that, the story (or rather the situation of an old man waiting for a lift - literally) presented itself readily. 

Recorded in one take, with the vocals through a Rode NTK and the guitar through an SM57 - it doesn't sound half bad, especially when you consider the strings are the self-same strings I boiled for Track 6!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...