Looking for the beginning?

Looking for somewhere to start? Check out Song 1 here!

Friday, 8 April 2011

Song Number 13: Reach Out

Lucky for some, it's Song 13!



It's Parkinson's Awareness Week next week, so why not get into the spirit of things and DONATE TO PARKINSON'S UK by clicking on the JustGiving widget at the top there, or visiting justgiving.com/songaweek

As some of you may have noticed, I've really been struggling with this one!  The music was written and completely recorded in a matter of hours, but the melody and lyric were just not coming easily.  I must have started off on a dozen different topics, written a few words for a chorus and scratched it; tried starting with a verse but scratched it...  It doesn't help that I found the music pretty uninspiring - it's like the stuff I was writing when I was 16 or 17 - so of course I wasn't able to get a melody that felt right, and a topic for the lyric didn't suggest itself readily.  When it's not obvious what I want to write about, I start by writing a lyric that's pretty obscure, but then it feels like I'm trying too hard to be cryptic and get on my own nerves!

Then Mrs F came home tonight and was telling me how she nearly found herself in a stand-off with some woman over a scarf in a clothes shop.   And after days of fannying around trying to find something to write about, I was suddenly presented with the perfect topic.  You can read the full story on her excellent fashion blog here, but in short, this song is about a woman shopping for a scarf, nearly losing it to another (evil) shopper, but triumphing in the end.  It's the classic Dark vs Light story.  Tolkien couldn't have done a better job, really...

On the technical side - I normally like a lot of compression on my voice anyway, but this time I also used a hell of a lot of limiter to even things out on the rather rushed vocal.  I'm pretty sure Rhett Davis used the same technique on Bryan Ferry's album As Time Goes By - lovely album, incidentally.  Well worth a listen.  Even if you're not a fan of rock's original lounge lizard, you can't deny his voice works very well with these songs, and the whole thing's just gorgeously recorded.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...