Looking for the beginning?

Looking for somewhere to start? Check out Song 1 here!

Monday, 8 August 2011

New Orleans track done

But again, I won't be able to upload it til I get back. I can reveal, however, that it's called Bakelite Lady, and features the sound of my iRig mic not bastard working!

It's even harder than normal, writing songs away from home. On the plus side, there's a guitar at the house we're staying in at the mo, but I'm just not in a working frame of mind. I've noticed the thing that suffers first (and most) is melody - I end up semi-improvising the same tired blues lines I always use.

The answer, of course, is to set time aside to concentrate on songwriting; working on ideas and creating proper, rounded songs. But fuck it- I'm on holiday. ;-)

Speaking of which, just a few words on music in New Orleans. There's a bit of trad jazz here and there, and there's the annual Satchmo jazz festival on at the mo, celebrating the life and work of Louis Armstrong... but the place just doesn't seem to have a soul. There's nothing that doesn't just seem put on for the tourists.

Also, there's a lot of stodgy, chugging, accordion-based blues. It's horrid.

We did, however, find this:


Who says Americans don't do irony?

San Francisco next...




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone in the USA. Please don't burgle my house.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...